Saturday, July 18, 2009

2 days of relaxation in Vietnam



Day 7
I had a nice day in Hoi An. Slept in a bit, then went to the tailor the have my first fitting. Over the course of the day, I went back several times to get the dress right, but the pants and shirt were great the first time I put them on. All that needed fixing was the hem on the pants. And the dress did get to be what I wanted in about 36 hours, so no complaints about several fittings. In between fittings, I explored (and shopped) a bit and went to a cooking class. As part of the class, we went to the market and were told about the native fruits, vegetables, and herbs. It was a good education. Then we went down the river about 4 km to the place the class was held. It was a nice trip and I got to see some of the local techniques for fishing. The class itself was fun, the most interesting part was learning how to make rice paper which was easier than I expected it to be. On the way back we got caught in a heavy rainstorm, but by the time the boat got back to town it was done. And it meant it cooled down a bit which was nice. After a drink with some of the group and then dinner, I called it a night. I had my laundry done so had completely repack everything for our trip to Ho Chi Minh.

Day 8
Not too exciting today. Relaxing morning. We drove to Danang to catch our flight to Ho Chi Minh City. We did almost have an accident at a round-about: a truck didn't want to yield to us and we stopped about a yard away. No one was hurt but there was a good staredown between the drivers. Flight was without incident. I was afraid I was going to miss it though as they called me back to check my luggage. I am bringing back some chili sauce and they wanted to know what it was. Unlike in the US, they made me open the bag. At home, they would have just searched it. I think I ate something that disagreed with me so I am just relaxing until dinner. By the time we got to town, most of the museums, etc, were closing soon anyway. So I can explore tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment